Brooches (pronounced broach) are among the oldest types of accessories and are still popular even today. While for many, brooches have acquired an ‘old-fashioned’ status, they can be worn and styled in cool, modern ways.
In fact, brooches are currently in fashion, as they offer an excellent way to complete your ensemble. With brooches showing up on the red carpet, on runways, we think it’s the perfect time to take a look at this timeless accessory.
Here’s a complete guide to buying and wearing a brooch.
What is Brooch?
Unlike other types of jewellery, a brooch is a decorative accessory created to be attached to clothes rather than to your body. They were sometimes used as a way to fasten clothes together.
Most brooches are made of metal and feature gemstones, enamel or intricate metalwork. They come in a variety of styles that define their period of origin. Popular designs for brooches include floral motifs, animals, insects and everyday objects.
Because a brooch is worn on your clothes, for many it’s much easier to style than jewellery. Also, if you don’t like the feel of jewellery on your body, but you still want to add a touch of sparkle to your look, then this might be your best option.
The Dos and Don’ts of Buying a Brooch
While nowadays anything goes when it comes to fashion, there are some general guidelines that come in handy when looking for a brooch:
1. When looking for a brooch, pick a design and style you feel comfortable wearing and that matches your personal style. Don’t go for something that isn’t you. Chances are you’ll hardly ever wear it.
2. Pick a brooch to match your clothes in terms of color and design rather than buying a brooch and then looking for clothes to match it with.
3. Don’t be restricted by tradition. Wear the brooch anywhere on your clothes, shoes, handbag or hair.. as you see fit. Just because it hasn’t been done before doesn’t mean you can’t be the first to try it out.
4. A brooch can be a focal point of your outfit so choose it wisely as it will grab attention.
5. Vintage brooches can always be sold and new ones bought. This keeps your collection fresh, unless you’re trying to collect them.
When to Wear a Brooch
In the past, brooches were typically worn at more formal events, but today there aren’t any hard and fast rules about when to wear brooches.
A well-chosen, understated brooch can be the perfect addition to your workwear, to give it some sparkle and colour. Avoid large, garish brooches that would look out of place in the office.
For a night out with the girls or if you’re going to a party, a glittering, colourful brooch can add a pop of colour and draw the eye to your brooch. It can be the focal point of your outfit.
Some like to wear brooches when out on a casual occasion. While this might seem dramatic, in fact, it can be fun and quirky. Pin a stylish brooch to your t-shirt or sweater. Just make sure that the pattern of the clothes isn’t too busy or hectic that the brooch gets lost amidst it. It’s best to pin a brooch onto a block colour.
Where To Buy Brooch In Nigeria
Get the best deal on brooch from Dmwardrobe online store. We have affordable prices for a brooch.
DM Wardrobe Clothing is a Lagos based fashion house that specializes in menswear, ready-to-wear clothing and runs a production line. DM wardrobe was born out of the desire to own high quality and durable clothing’s that fit at an affordable price.